Monday, September 17, 2007

Now I know what I don't know

The first day at a job is almost always overwhelming for the software developer joining a new team. Lots of new people to meet, learning the layout of the office (where the heck is the bathroom?!), figuring out the work environment, setting up email accounts, source code repository accounts, and Wiki accounts, getting the architectural overview, reading a stack of design documents and developer documentation.. oh and don't forget about all the forms and HR stuff that needs to be done too.

Well, that's all well and good but on top of all of that, I got a fairly detailed overview of a lot of the science behind the work that we're doing at OpGen. Wow! Do I really know nothing about biology!! My supervisor was going into these great descriptions of how DNA molecules are separated and prepared for imaging and I have to interrupt him and ask, "Err.. DNA is a single molecule? What's a molecule again?" Throughout it all, he was quite patient with me and did a pretty good job of dumbing it all down so that I could at least nod mutely when he asked if I understood.

The main thing that I learned today on my first day was that I could really use an intro course on microbiology .. one that doesn't require me to study, do homework, or exert myself too much, of course. Aside from that fact, using the shallow understanding that I was able to gain today, I am really impressed by what the guys at OpGen have been able to accomplish. I've heard people say that working with computers and software seems like magic ... well, I think that some of this biology and chemistry work is pretty freaking magical. I hope to learn a lot more about it and get more comfortable with it so that it doesn't seem quite so mystical.

I left the office today feeling like my brain was oozing out of my ears (Excuse me, I think you've got some on your shoe). I'm hoping a good night's sleep will bring me back to work tomorrow well-rested and ready to start all over again.